Friday, June 20, 2014

Yes

Share it Please
Two years ago, I was anxiously awaiting lining up at the starting line of my very first race, the Manitou Days 5k.  I was so incredibly nervous because I wasn't sure if I was going to finish the race in the time allowed.   The race is run immediately before the Manitou Days Parade kicks off, and everyone had to be off of the course before the start of the parade.  I wasn't confident that I could do it, but I took a chance and did much better than I ever expected.

Today, instead of running the race, I'll be lining up to watch the parade and cheering on the others out there enjoying a 5K race on a warm Minnesota evening.  I contemplated signing up to run the race again, but took one look at my training schedule and realized it wasn't going to work.

You see, this morning, I ran, or rather, hobbled, 14 miles.

14 miles

I've never done that before.  I've run 13.1, but never 14.  I never imagined that two years after my first 5k that I'd find myself training for a marathon, but that is exactly where I find myself.  I still have the same concern of finishing in the time allowed, I haven't really gotten any faster, but the distance I'm willing to push my body has increased. 

This morning as I was out on my run, I listened to one of my favorite Bible teachers, Jonathan Martin.  I started the run listening to the message called, "Go".

Martin talked about the story of Abram in Genesis 12 where God tells Abram and Sarai to pick up all of their things, everything they know and go.  They know not where they are going, God doesn't fill them in on the details, but in obedience and trust, Abram says Yes.   


Now the  Lord  said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you.  And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”    So Abram went, as the  Lord  had told him, and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. (Genesis 12:1-4, ESV)


As I was listening to Jonathan Martin explain this, I welled up with tears multiple times.  Saying "Yes" to God is never easy, in fact, it almost always means that we're saying "no" to our own comfort and contentment….which is exactly what this journey of training for a marathon is for me.  (I wrote more about my decision in the post, Finding Life Through Death.)

I knew that training for a marathon was going to be extremely difficult, and it wasn't at all anything that I wanted to do, but I kept hearing God nudging me to do it.  I said "Yes" without knowing what the outcome would be, without the confidence that I have what it will take to finish. 

I've quickly come to realize that I am absolutely positive that I don't have what it takes.  I keep trying to convince myself that I do.  I keep trying to get through each training run with my own strength and determination which always ends badly.  Today I realized that if I am saying Yes to God, I need to make sure I'm constantly looking to him to provide what I need to make it.  As I was listening to Jonathan Martin's words, I realized that I was able to focus on how much God loves me rather than how much my legs hurt and how slowly I was going.  I don't even remember miles 4-8 because I was so entrenched in the affirmation I found in the words I was hearing.  

It doesn't make sense to me.  I don't know how in the world I can accomplish this, much like Abram probably didn't know how he would know where he was going, but he went anyway.  I love to be in control, I hate failing, I have always done my very best to make sure I maintain control and achieve success.  I have a hard time trusting in things that I don't understand and can't see.  I constantly play the movie forward and analyze all of the possible outcomes trying to figure out what I should do or how something might end up, but we can't possibly know or understand what God has planned for us, simply because he is God.   


For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the  Lord .     For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9, ESV)


Is God asking you to say "Yes" to something?   What does saying "Yes" require you to leave behind? 

I challenge you to jump in, say "Yes" and go where He is asking you to go.  It won't be easy, you might lose your way and I can pretty much guarantee that you will have regrets, but God will turn all of those into something more wonderful than you can imagine as long as you keep trusting in Him.


Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the  Lord  your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you. (Deuteronomy 31:6, ESV)



So say "Yes" and say it loud.  

2 comments:

  1. Every one of your posts is just fantastic, Tammy. I so wish you were closer so we could get together and so I could use your amazing story for our MOPS group. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I wish we were closer too! Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Books I'm Reading

Team World Vision

I am training for the Twin Cities Marathon with Team World Vision. I have a goal of raising enough money to provide clean water for 50 people and I need your help!