Wednesday, November 5, 2014

8 Reasons You Should Run a Marathon with Team World Vision

Share it Please
It is no secret for many of you readers that running a marathon was a significant goal for me this year.  It wasn't anything I had ever planned on doing and it wasn't something I ever thought would be possible for me to do, but God had other plans.  I completed my first marathon with Team World Vision on October 5th, and now I want to invite you to do the same.  Here are some reasons that I think you should run a marathon, specifically the Twin Cities Marathon, with Team World Vision.

You probably think you can't

I can't think of a better reason to set a huge goal for yourself.  I've always been motivated to prove myself and others wrong.  I enjoy pushing myself to do things that I never thought were possible once I can get over the voice in my head telling me that I can't.  I like to show that voice that it doesn't know what it is talking about, and I think deep down, we all do.  If  you are in relatively good health, I think you have what it takes to run a marathon, you just don't think you do.  Why not prove that little voice in your head wrong?

You will meet some amazing people

It is no secret that I love the community of runners in general, the love I have for my fellow Team World Vision runners is even greater.  You will meet other people running on this team that you wouldn't have met otherwise, and you will push each other towards greatness.  Training for a marathon is hard, but you don't have to do it alone.  I can't tell you how much running with my teammates pushed me to run harder, faster and longer than I would have run if I were training on my own.  You'll be inspired by other people who have jumped in an decided to run a marathon.  People who also though they couldn’t do it, but were willing to give it a shot.  You'll laugh together, cry together, rejoice together and pray together.  You'll be excited for every single one of your teammates that crosses that finish line, it is the thrill of finishing a marathon multiplied…and trust me, that is a great feeling to multiply.

You will grow in ways you probably didn't even know you needed to grow

I'm going to be honest with you and say that training for a marathon was the hardest and best thing I've ever done.  I was pushed so far out of my comfort zone.  I really didn't think I had what it took to finish a marathon.  I had nothing to trust in other than God's goodness and perfect plan for my life.  I trusted that this was something he wanted me to do, and I had to constantly remind myself of that.  What I realize now is that I am the best version of myself when I'm forced to lean on God.  I loved the person I became during the last month of training.  I found weaknesses in my life and in my running that needed to be strengthened.  I learned that pride was a big blind spot in my life and I needed to swallow it to become a better runner, and I did.  I learned that I needed to rely more on others to cover me in prayer and offer encouragement as opposed to always going at it alone.  All of the things I learned helped me grow.  I watched others grow right along with me.  It is a beautiful thing to witness growth in others that you love.

You will be encouraged by complete strangers 

I'm a bit cynical, I don't always believe that people want others to succeed in our "me, me, me" culture, but running the marathon changed that.  I was overwhelmed by the massive amounts of spectators cheering along the course.  I heard people tell me they were proud of me as I ran, people I'd never met before and would likely never see again, it was unreal.  You don't know how much random people cheering for you means until you are 25 miles into a race feeling like garbage and a "You go girl, you've got this" from a St. Paul Police Officer gives you the confidence to finish.  People are beautiful, and they want you to succeed when you push yourself to do something great.

You will change the lives of beautiful people in Africa

Perhaps one of the greatest things about running with Team World Vision is that you get to be an advocate for people who have far less than we do.  You get to tell the world that there are people, just like me and you, who are doing their very best to survive without the basic necessity of clean water.  Without clean water, everything else in life becomes nearly impossible, but you get to speak boldly about this injustice because you're taking strides, literally, to put an end to it.  You get to ask anyone and everyone you know if they'd be willing to join you in the fight.  You get to witness people who you didn't think would be willing to give, give and give generously.  You get to see people's eyes opened.  You get to rejoice every time one more person gets access to clean water.  You get to change lives simply by putting yourself through some temporary discomfort. 

You will see God move

Our team had a constant prayer last year, that God would make it evident that He was at work in us.  He answered that prayer so many times during the course of the season and every time, I was reminded just how much he loves us when I was at a point in my life where I desperately frequent reminders of that love.  When you pray boldly, you get to see God do things you never thought were possible, and that is pretty darn exciting. 

You will experience emotions you didn't know you had

The minute I realized that I was going to cross the finish line, I was flooded with a mix of emotions.  I still don't have words to describe some of them, but here are a few: joy, pride, gratitude, exhaustion, elation - you will want to burst.  

No one can ever take the title of "Marathoner" away from you

Once you cross that finish line, you are a marathoner, and you always will be.  On difficult days, you can remind  yourself of what you once did and look back and smile.   On hard training runs afterwards, you can remind yourself that you once moved your body for 26.2 miles, you can push through 4. 

There is a lot more that  I could say, but the main thing is this, running a marathon with Team World Vision changed my life and may be the greatest thing I'll ever do.  I want everyone to experience the love, joy and growth that I experienced and I'd feel horrible if I didn’t tell you about it and invite you to do the same.

If you are thinking about it, but have questions, please let me know, I'd love to answer any.  If you want to run, but are afraid of being to slow or not knowing what to do, I'd love to help!  In fact, I might even be able to talk my husband into letting me run again next year if I were doing so with the sole intent of helping someone else finish.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Books I'm Reading

Team World Vision

I am training for the Twin Cities Marathon with Team World Vision. I have a goal of raising enough money to provide clean water for 50 people and I need your help!