Saturday, April 4, 2015

Stuck on Saturday

Share it Please
I've had a post running through my head the last two days but it was always at the most inconvenient time, which is how it always seems to work.  I find the words when I can't stop and give them the time they deserve and when I finally get the chance to let them spill out, they escape me.


However, I just sat staring at the most gut-wrenching photo I have ever seen.  It has been reported and removed from Facebook multiple times, so it may be gone by the time you click the link.  It is disturbing, but it is reality.  It is a picture of some of the147 Kenyans that were killed during a terrorist attack at Garrisa University College, an attack by Islamic Terrorist Group Al-Shabab.  An attack that specifically targeted Christians.  


I looked at every single person that lost their life and just started weeping.  The world is a scary, sinful, dark place and my heart hurts.  As I was reflecting on the darkness, I remembered that because of the extravagant love of Jesus, darkness and death do not prevail, they have already been overcome.  This pain, this darkness, this death, it is not final.


I was reading through a letter by Uhuru Kenyatta, the current president of Kenya, as he addressed the country after the massacre, he too, reminded me of this.




In the next few days, as funerals are held across the length and breadth of Kenya, we will be filled with anguish and great anger. During this holy period of Easter, the families and communities of the fallen should take solace in recalling that after the evil of the cross on Friday, and when the Devil thought he had triumphed, Sunday’s hope arrived. As we remember those that fell at Garissa, we recognise that the resurrection of Jesus demonstrates that the power of hatred and violence will never prevail. We shall prevail.

We shall prevail, we already know the ending, we know that death was defeated, but right now, right now feels a lot like I imagine Saturday felt for the disciples.  It feels dark.  It feels defeating.  It feels hopeless at times.  But without Saturday, we can't appreciate the miracle that Sunday brings.


This year, more than any other year, I have learned to appreciate the fact that you can't have resurrection and new life without death.  I have experienced first hand just how much life you can have if you allow yourself to release the grip you have on your life.


I read a blog post called Resurrection Remix by Ty Gibson and I loved so much of what he said but found this paragraph particularly beautiful:





As the Savior hung tortured in body and soul upon the cross, despised by men and apparently forsaken by God, utterly alone in the deep darkness of our shame, love and selfishness stood face to face in raging combat. In Christ, the law of sin and death measured strength against the law of life, and life, by love, gained the victory. In the final, expiring breath of Jesus, Calvary placed on record for all eternity the indisputable fact that God is infinitely selfless. All intelligent worship and all true loyalty are forever His by virtue of the cross. And all rebellion against such a God as this is manifestly unjustifiable.
 


 Each and every day in our lives, love and selfishness stand face to face, raging a ware within every single one of us.  Unfortunately for me, selfishness tends to win time and time again.  Appropriately, one of my favorite albums is titled The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me.  The album is by Brand New, and although they aren't a Christian band, many of their lyrics are Biblically influenced.  The best song on the album is called Jesus Christ and it is what I believe to be an extremely honest prayer by the songwriter (Jesse Lacey) as he acknowledges his sinful and broken nature.  The last half of the song goes as follows:



I know you're coming in the night like a thief
But I've had some time alone to hone my lying technique
I know you think that I'm someone you can trust
But I'm scared I'll get scared and I swear I'll try to nail you back up (everyone now)

So do you think that we could work out a sign
So I'll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try

I know you're coming for the people like me
We all got wood and nails
And tongue-tied at hate factories
We all got wood and nails
And tongue-tied at hate factories
We all got wood and nails
And we sleep inside of this machine

When I'm having a particularly rough day, I just like to crank this in my car and the world seems a little bit better. I like it when people are honest about their struggles, which is why I've always loved Paul, who penned this in his letter to Timothy.

I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent.  But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.  The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.  But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.  to the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.  (1 Timothy 1:12-17, ESV)

Paul's transformation is always such an amazing story that no one is too far gone to receive the redeeming love and transformation that can only come through Jesus.  His love is extravagant.  His love is unending.  His love is scandalous.  His love is for you. 

So no matter how long you feel stuck in Saturday, always remember that Sunday will come.  

And Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me.  And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.  I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.  If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.  The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.  For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak.  And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me.” (John 12:44-50, ESV)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Books I'm Reading

Team World Vision

I am training for the Twin Cities Marathon with Team World Vision. I have a goal of raising enough money to provide clean water for 50 people and I need your help!