Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cheese: How I Knew I Wasn't OK

Share it Please
I started this post back in May, I never finished or hit publish because I had a hard time completing my thoughts and I was a bit nervous about how it would be received.  However, with all of the blogs, posts and thoughts I'm reading today related to suicide, depression and mental illness surrounding Robin Williams' tragic death, I wanted to add my experience to the mix.  So here it is.

------------------------------------------------------

Cheese.

It was cheese that made me realize that I am not ok.

There I stood, in the middle of Target, staring at cheese for 5 minutes when the tears just started to pour down my face.

But it wasn't about the cheese.

It was about always having to make decisions, always having the answer to questions like, "Did you have anything planned for dinner tonight?"

I didn't.

I wandered the aisles of Target trying to find something that sounded appetizing and wouldn't require much effort on my part and yet still offered some kind of nutritional value and I came up empty.

So there I stood, staring at the cheese wondering what kind of cheese would be good for a grilled cheese sandwich because plain old American just wouldn't do, and I couldn't decide, I didn't want to decide. 

If I'm honest, the only thing I've wanted to do since March is crawl in my bed and sleep. Simply existing seems to require too much effort, and yet, I have to keep moving, there are too many little people depending on me.

For as long as I can remember, I've battled with feeling this way.  I go through periods of life where everything seems fine, some longer than others, but I always seem to end up back here, where I feel stuck inside of my own head.  I can see the world going on around me, I know how I want to react, but I can't seem to get out from behind my eyes.  I realize that this probably doesn't make any sense, but that is the only way to describe the way I feel most days.  I feel stuck behind my eyes and I hate it.

It would be easy to quit.  To give up and give in, to live underneath the covers, safe in my own little cocoon.  But I know that there is a better way.

So I fight.  I keep trying to find the joy.  I keep trying to find the way out of my head.  I force myself to get through the day.  I lace up my running shoes and move when standing still would be so much easier.  I take the little pink pill each night that allows me to get through the days without crying multiple times.  I continue to ask God for healing, I beg to just be able to experience the joy in my life, the joy that I know is there but I have a really hard time finding.     

I think, in our society, mental health is not regarded as highly as it should be.  People are afraid to discuss their issues, talking about mental health is taboo.  It shouldn't be this way.  There is too much at stake.  Lives are being lost, figuratively and literally.  

There is no shame in talking about it....at least there shouldn't be.  There is no shame in getting help.  

If you struggle with feeling like something isn't quite right, just know that you aren't alone.  It doesn't make you a bad person.  It doesn't mean that you aren't a good enough Christian.  It doesn't mean that YOU are broken, it just means that we live in a broken world. 

 ------------------------------------------------------

Since I wrote this, I've come out of this fog a bit, but I am definitely still struggling.  I still have days where I have a hard time not crying at the drop of a hat (today would be one of them).  I still have a hard time doing all of the things that a normal grown up adult has to do.  I likely always will.

So much of what I read focuses on awareness and education, making sure people know what mental illness looks like, and while I think that is important, I don't think it is the answer.  Other people understanding what I'm dealing with isn't going to make what I’m dealing with any easier.  I know about cancer, I understand how horrible cancer is, but since I've never experienced it firsthand, I don't know the first thing about how it makes someone feel.  I don't know the struggles that they go through each day, in their head, that make every day tasks, like making dinner, a struggle. 

So instead of simply educating yourself, I'm going to offer another option, love.  The thing about depression is that the people who suffer from it are likely the last to ask for help.  One of my biggest struggles while dealing with depression  has been a complete lack of self worth.  I struggle daily with realizing that there are people out there that might actually give two craps about me, let alone love me.  So I'm probably not going to call someone up and let them know I'm having a bad day because I'm under the assumption that I'm a burden to everyone everywhere on planet earth (I know this isn't true, but this is what I tell myself).  Instead, I'm going to push though, brush away the tears and fake it for as long as I can until I can collapse into bed at night and do it all over again tomorrow. 

If you love someone who struggles with depression, you have to show them.  Words simply aren't enough because whatever you say to them is going to be overridden by the lies they tell themselves.  You have to get in their face with love and goodness of the authentic and unplanned kind.  Random notes to let them know you are thinking about them.  A text that wishes them well.  A spur of the moment invite to coffee (before they have time to analyze what it would look like and bail on you).

Whatever you do, do not tell them that they are unhealthy, they already know.  Do not tell them that they aren't worthy of being part of the body of Christ, they already feel that way. Do not tell them that they just need to find the joy, they are probably already trying.   

Yesterday I was reflecting on all of the conversations and healings that Jesus was a part of during his short time on this earth.  I thought it was beautiful how so many of the people he talked with or healed were completely unashamed to let him see who they really were, they put their struggles out in the open and he didn't love them any less because of it, at times, it seems like he loved them more.

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18, ESV)


If you are going to remind someone who struggles with depression of anything, remind them of that and then be Jesus for them.  Simply be near them to let them know that they aren't alone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Books I'm Reading

Team World Vision

I am training for the Twin Cities Marathon with Team World Vision. I have a goal of raising enough money to provide clean water for 50 people and I need your help!