Thursday, September 25, 2014

Leaves of Change

Share it Please
Yesterday my daughter gave me a leaf.  



It has dried up a bit since she gave it to me, but I was instantly fascinated by its beauty. I love how you can still see the green veins running through it, seeing the hint of the life that used to be.

As I stared at the leaf, taking in its beauty, I was thinking of how amazing God's creation is.  Even in something as simple as leaves changing color, we can see the beauty of death and resurrection.  As the leaves turn color and fall from the trees each autumn, it is one of the most beautiful sights we can feast our eyes on this side of heaven.  Though we are admiring what is essentially the death of a leaf, the loss of the leaf is necessary to ensure survival of the tree through the winter and into spring, when new life comes again.

As I'm in this season where God has been showing me that beauty comes when we put the baggage in our life to death and trust completely in his plan and promise, I loved the parallel.  I think it was another gift from the Holy Spirit, or I've just gotten really good at telling myself what I need to hear.  You see, the  logo for the Twin Cities Marathon….it's a leaf. 



As I'm running next Sunday, every time it gets difficult, all I will need to do to find focus will be to look up and find a beautiful tree with colorful leaves (of which there are many on the course) and I'll instantly be reminded of how beautiful death and resurrection can be. 

I've been digging into 2 Corinthians in the days before I step up to run 26.2 miles.  I was really moved by a few verses in chapter 4

But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.  We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.  For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.  So death is at work in us, but life in you. (2 Corinthians 4:7-12, ESV)

In some churches today, there is so much focus on making wise choices, things that would ensure anyone would have a great life, with or without God, but none of it looks like death.  There is so much focus on behavior modification and little put on true heart transformation.  I feel like the goal is often to fight really hard to keep control of your life, make sure you had your shit together and look like a "good Christian".   But that isn't what we are promised or called to do as a Christian.

As a disciple of Christ, we are called to constantly be given over to death.  We need to constantly be listening for the Holy Spirit, discerning God's voice amid all of the other noise, finding places in our lives that need to be put to death to death for Jesus sake, so that Jesus can be manifested in our bodies.  Is there anything more beautiful than that?

I have read and heard this so many times in my life, but it wasn't until I actually did it that I started to understand how amazing this can be.  Is there something in your life that God wants you to put to death?  Do it today!  I promise, it won't be easy, it won't always look pretty, people might not think you have your shit together (and you might not), but it will be beautiful.  You will feel God's presence like you never have before and it will be worth it.

Since my last post, I have felt God's presence immensely.  I have hardly had any "dark" days and I had two really awesome runs with a pace that is unheard of for me.  I found a 2:1 run/walk ratio on my long runs that I believe will get me to the finish line with all of the continued support and prayers.

Death can be scary, and death can be beautiful.  Find the beauty and let His glory shine through you. 

----------------------------------------------------------

One more really exciting thing I wanted to share with you.  Today, World Vision featured my story on their blog.

   
I am so thankful to have the opportunity to share how God is working in my life - you can check it out here.  I'm hopeful that it will inspire others to run and to give the gift of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Books I'm Reading

Team World Vision

I am training for the Twin Cities Marathon with Team World Vision. I have a goal of raising enough money to provide clean water for 50 people and I need your help!